The U.S. soldier accused of slaughtering 16 Afghan villagers last weekend had been reluctant to leave on his fourth deployment and surprised to be deployed to Afghanistan, where soldiers at his base were shaken by the serious injury of a comrade a day before the shooting rampage, his lawyer said Thursday.
Quoted from Lawyer: Afghanistan suspect was reluctant to deploy on Yahoo! News – Latest News & Headlines
The US soldier accused of murdering 16 Afghan civilians in southern Afghanistan was distraught about being unexpectedly deployed a fourth time, but his family is "totally shocked" by the slaughter The lawyer stressed that Bales did not confess and seemed surprised when his weapon was taken away, the newspaper reported. U.S. military officials said Bales was drinking on a southern Afghanistan base on March 11